Do you run your own business? Do you have competent Health & Safety advice? If not then read on….
All businesses want and need to see a healthy return on their investment. When you are deciding who should manage your health and safety, you need to engage someone who:
- is focussed on your business and growth objectives
- provides you with competent and sound advice
- is qualified, experienced and understands how businesses operate.
Your options for engaging a Health and Safety Manager include recruiting a permanent employee or outsourcing the role of managing your health and safety processes to a consultancy.
How much does a Health and Safety Manager cost?
The average salary of a permanent full time Health and Safety Manager is between £30,000 and £60,000 a year, depending on qualifications and experience. But when you take into account the hidden costs such as office and IT costs, recruitment fees, pension contributions, training, company car and other benefits, the annual cost can be more like £80,000-£100,000. And £100,000 is if you get the recruitment right! If you don’t that could be money that your organisation never sees again.
What will outsourcing do for my business?
Outsourcing your health and safety to a competent consultant is good value for money because you only pay for what you use. If you compare outsourcing to employing a permanent or contract manager, you’ll find the following benefits:
- a consultant can start immediately, so you don’t have to wait for them to work out their notice period;
- a consultant will roll up their sleeves and get started without the need for the on-boarding that an employee requires to get up and running;
- a consultant will offer you candid and independent advice without the politics;
- you only pay for what you need, so can scale up or down depending on your business needs at the time;
- you don’t have to pay recruitment consultancy fees (which could be around £7,000 to £10,000);
- you don’t have to pay for the job advert (at least £750);
- you can keep office and IT costs down if they work offsite with their own IT. IT and office costs can be around £4,000 for an employee;
- you don’t have to pay national insurance or pension contributions which could save you £6,000 to £10,000 a year;
- you don’t have to pay for a car or other company benefits – another saving of about £6,000 a year;
- a consultant will bring a wealth of knowledge and experience for your sector;
- if you engage a consultancy, you will have access to other H&S practitioners with different expertise.
Organisations can save a lot of money by choosing the outsourcing route. All of our consultants are competent, independent and have the professional integrity that you need to give your business the edge. We pride ourselves on providing practical solutions to meet your business needs. Outsourcing your health and safety to Salopian Health & Safety can give you peace of mind so that you can concentrate on your business goals.
For more information please call us to have a chat.